Sunday, June 14, 2015

I don't have time to run and all other excuses


Last two weeks I have followed my training plan for the marathon, did my three runs, strength training and stretches all as planned. Before starting the project, I was wondering if I have time to train enough and whether I have any time left to spend with the family. I did not want running to take over my whole life, that after work I had to put my running gear on and head to the road, that I would meet my son on weekends (and then only on Saturdays as Sunday is of course the long run day), that my husband would forget he has a wife... 

So when I started this project I decided to do my during the week trainings in mornings, as much as possible at least. However I feared that once the interval trainings are in the program, I might face some challenge to tell my body to do it at 6am. And that after all, getting myself out of the bed time after time at 5:30 is really not fun.

But so far so good if not better. It turned out the morning runs are the ones I really really enjoy, whether interval or tempo training, they just feel good. And not only after the training but the training as such is even more fun at that time of the day. Maybe because the brain is still in sleep and it does not recognise the pain or because I am just mad, whatever the reason I am positively surprised by the discovery. And what comes to the time, I feel my daily time available for other things have really not changed that much. I am at the office around 8am, I come home when the work and brain is ready for the day and spend the evenings as usual either with the family or with other activities. Even the other night when building Lego castle with my son, I felt a bit guilty that I should be training for my marathon -until I realised I already did my run the same morning. Surely I admit the season is on my side, I am fully aware it might not be the same feeling if mornings were dark, grey and cold. But the season is on my side and I plan to take full advantage of it!  

 This is one of my favourite views when returning from a run.

No comments:

Post a Comment